Thursday, September 1, 2011

Breakfast idea

I ran out of oatmeal this morning--I always eat quick oats with berries, almonds, flax and maple syrup in the AM--and didn't have time to make a smoothie. So I improvised and 'came up' with an idea that is probably not new or inventive to most... ;)
Leftover brown rice straight out of the fridge with slivered almonds, ground flaxseed (you did know that your body can't process whole flaxseeds, right? Unless you're just that thorough of a chewer...), a fair amount of cinnamon and a bit of maple syrup on top. I was a bit hesitant but it was delicious! It tasted a bit like rice pudding. If I didn't have avocados in the house (hooray!) I probably would have eaten it again for lunch!!

And one more thing... if you are interested in test-driving a vegan diet... or just seeing what it's all about, there is something going on in a couple of days called the 21 day kickstart that could help. I posted a link on the side of my blog, but here it is again: http://www.21daykickstart.org/

2 comments:

Anne said...

I made the tamale pie last night. At first bite, I didn't think I was going to like it, but I also didn't wait the 10 minutes after cooking that I was supposed to and by the end of the meal, I liked it quite a bit. The leftovers are even better, but I probably won't be making it that often because although both my kids humored me with a bite of it, neither of them liked it! So I'll have my fill before it's gone!!

Also I'm enjoying your thoughts on feasting and food, etc. My sister and I have been talking about similar things lately though not related to such a specific diet but still the need to be mindful of what we're actually eating and why.

Elisabeth said...

Aw sadness! Did you try salsa on it? Without the salsa it was a bit plain for me... I might try to tweak it next time, but I don't know how as I'm no expert in cornmeal and it's 'abilities'. Thanks for the feedback--I'm glad to see that I have at least one person that reads! haha :)